*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

Sony remote control RMF-ED001 - just replaced with a new one.

Sony remote control RMF-ED001 - just replaced with a new one. The EXT light flashes 5 times when I attempt to switch on the TV (or various other buttons) and it won't switch on the TV.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 1 year ago.
Try this please,Remove the batteries from the remote control.On the remote control, press every button twice.Reinstall the batteries. Then try the remote again.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same - ext light flashes 5 times
okay, this sounds like an issue with the tv. Follow the steps below to perform a power reset on a TV.Turn off the TV.Unplug the TV power cord from the electrical outlet.Let the television remain without power for 60 seconds.Plug the power cord back into the electrical outlet.
if that fails try this again next>Remove the batteries from the remote control.Press each button on the remote control twice.Make sure none of the remote control buttons are jammed.Install fresh batteries into the remote control.IMPORTANT: Make sure the batteries are inserted in the + and - direction shown inside the battery compartment.Make sure nothing is blocking the Infrared (IR) sensor on the TV.IMPORTANT: Some locations can interfere with the IR signal from the remote control. Glass enclosures, as well as fluorescent or halogen lights, may prevent the IR signal from reaching the TV.Point the remote control at the IR sensor of the TV.Press the POWER button and other buttons to test TV operation.IMPORTANT: Do not hold down the POWER button too long. Doing so may prevent the remote control from operating the TV.If all of the remote control buttons work, no further troubleshooting is required. Otherwise, continue troubleshooting below.Try using the remote control at varying distances from the TV.Turn the Light Sensor setting to OFF.On the TV itself, press the HOME button on the TV.Using the up arrow or down arrow select Preferences.Press the INPUT button.Press the up arrow or down arrow to select ECO.Press the INPUT button.Use the up arrow or down arrow to select Light Sensor.Press the INPUT button.Press the up arrow or down arrow to select OFF.Press the INPUT button.If this fails then there is a hardware failure on the tv infrared sensor or remote control circuit. Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope - still the same. The manual says EXT flashing 3 times means replace the batteries but no mention of 5 flashes.
right, that usually indicates that the remote is not being detected by the tv. this is most likely a hardware failure with the tv.I am sorry about that. Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.Thank you very much!
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience: I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I managed to get my 'old' control finally working and it operates fine so I conclude it is the new (replacement) remote control that is to blame!