Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a goodmans gmr1886dab set which has started crackling

i have a goodmans gmr1886dab set which has started crackling dependent on whether it is sitting on a surface [crackling] or quiet when it is held off the surface.any comments please as this has started recently after a few weeks perfect performance from new.
Is the surface wooden or metallic, or something else?
Does it happen with lots of different surfaces?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It was happening with a variety of surfaces but it has now relapsed into a clicking routine with the sound barely audible which then fades away into silence.The radio is now virtually silent when turned on after being unused for a period.
Ok, so no response on any surface at all now?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
correct
The radio likely has an internal fault, possibly a bad solder joint or a bad component that is failing over time and has now completely failed.If you have a soldering iron, you can try resoldering any suspect solder joints.If that doesn't work, then the electronic components will need debugging to locate the fault.
Please reply back if you need clarification on any of the above, or even if you just want to say "thank you" :-)
----------------------
Don't forget to rate my help, it is how the site rewards me for my time...
Pete.