Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a garmin nuvi 1310. I have loaded the latest maps and

Customer Question

I have a garmin nuvi 1310. I have loaded the latest maps and now the device wont work. it switches on, when connected to the compute,r but then goes off again. is my garminnow defunct or is there something I can do?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.
Remove the charger from the unit and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.
Release, then connect the charger and try to turn it on.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change. the garmin logo keeps coming up and then disappears again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** attempt to do the following please
Start with the device OFF and unplugged from power
Touch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencil
Continue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ON
Release the power button when the device powers ON
You will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"
Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displays
Touch Yes
If text language is not in English, this is the button on the right
The device will now reset. Follow the on-screen prompts and then place your device in an area with a clear view of the sky until it acquires satellites.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
followed your instructions. Didn't get a message. the garmin logo still keeps coming up but then goes off again
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** the isssue
It is the internal memory that has faulted.
A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. If the warranty has expired, you would need to purchase a replacement, as repairing this is not a possibility (it costs more then replacing it).
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for your help
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
your welcome
If you need anything else, please let me know, and please remember the service rating via one of the smiley faces then submit.