Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have the Panasonic TXP42ST60B 2 and 1/2

Customer Question

I have the Panasonic TXP42ST60B for about 2 and 1/2 years now, no problems.
All of a sudden my DVD player (LG) does not work. it is plugged into HDMI 3 and when I turn it on, the LG sign comes on but then I get a blank screen. It does not appear to be detecting a signal. HDMI 2 is hooked up to a satellite receiver, (Technomate,) it was also just a blank screen, now it works..?
HDMI 1 is hooked up to another satellite receiver (Humax)and is working fine. I have tried plugging the Humax into the other HDMI slots and it works with all of them. The Technomate only works occasionally and the LG player does not work on any of them. I tried different cables, no effect.
ALL of the above items work perfectly on my old Samsung LCD TV so it is definetely an issue with the Panasonic.
I recently must have had a software update as the volume control now works immediately upon turning on the TV. Could the update be causing the problems?
Please help
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
It will not be the update else it would have been noted and rolled back.
Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).
Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release.
Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.
Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still the same situation
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Can you get to the menu on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the menu now
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go to Reset and reset the TV, then set it up again and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume reset will reset all my picture settings? Should I write the down?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but unless you specifically changed these, which is rare and you should remember what to, then it will be as its set now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, where do I find reset?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It should be under the setup menu, check this and if you cannot find it ill get the manual to locate it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing that states it resets is 'Shipping condition' which states it resets all settings. Is that the one?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, that's the reset, please run this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its doing a set up at the moment
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It;s all restarted, Same problem, picture is now uncalibrated, thankfully I wrote down all the numbers.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
How do you mean uncalibrated?
You do not see the picture clearly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, The Humax works on HDMI 1. The other sources are still just a black screen.
The picture went back to default (colour/tint ect.) but I have the numbers to reset it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The picture was calibrated for an optimal picture.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but by default it should not have a tint, which can be related to this issue as its the mainboard thats faulted. As its a few ports, it will be the port controller not the port itself (it would be too much of a coincidence).
I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.
I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, it's out of warranty, is this a big job, expensive?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Depends on your local labor costs, so get a quote first though and judge the price as the repair comes with a limited warranty (check what the repair company offers on this as anything less then 6 months then its not worth it.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help.
AL
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Al
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.