Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I like to listen to radio or music from web via my Surface

I like to listen to radio or music from web via my Surface tablet. It used to work without headphones or with headphones. Recently it only works consistently through headphones. I have checked settings and cannot see why it has stopped working.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,There is a small microswitch inside the headphone socket that mutes the speaker sound when you have headphones connected.Sometimes the little switch gets stuck. To fix this problem, try plugging and unplugging the headphone jack several times in quick succession, or try using a pin or needle to help release the microswitch inside the headphone socket.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I noted, I had already tried this. Basically, I understand that there is no solution to this common problem.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It needs to be done in quick succession, and it doesn't always work - sometimes you have to use a pin to release the microswitch.
If the problem is persistent then the best long term option is to have the headphone jack socket replaced.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Please review my solution and reply back if you need further assistance, or even to say "thanks" :)Pete.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Did my solution work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well... no. This is obviously a fault with the machine. I had found similar advice to yours on the web before. At some point after that the sound came back once and only disappeared when I used the headphones again - I'll have go find out about having the socket replaced as you suggest. Thank you for trying to resolve it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Glad I could help point you in the right direction.
Let me know if I can be of any further assistance.
Pete.