*ElectronicsTech
*ElectronicsTech, Customer Service
Experience:  I have over 15 years experience as an electronics repair and troubleshooting technician.
62741268

I have a Sony pcm m10 portable digital sound recorder.

Hi , I have a Sony pcm m10 portable digital sound recorder. It was working fine but hasn’t been used for a while and will now not power up. Have put in new batteries and also tried with mains transformer. Any ideas about how to get it working or if it can be repaired? thanks. Andy
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** will assist you. I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.This is usually caused by a glitch in the firmware and can be resolved by a forced reboot, then your Sony will work normally again.try this please> Slide the POWER/HOLD switch in the direction of “POWER” for 30 seconds. If this fails then try these steps please>Connect the mains power to the Sony and a wall outlet . Then Slide and hold the power switch for 40 seconds, then release. Wait 15 minutes then power on and check.Let me know if this does not work and we can try another solution.Please reply and let me know if you need any other assistance or if everything is good, take a moment to rate my service by choosing one of the stars at the top, then click submit.Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Randy, tried those two things but unfortunately unit still didn't power up - any further suggestions welcome. Andy
okay, does any lights come on on the sony?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
okay, were the old batteries left in it while in storage?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm afraid so
okay,that sounds like the power circuit may have been damaged. It may be possible to clean with the contacts and then get it working, if cleaning does not help then it will be related to the internal power circuit. The batteries when left in causes internal circuit issues.Please let me know if you need any other assistance. Please take a moment to rate my service positively by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then click on submit.Thank you very much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you mean the battery contacts? What would be suitable cleaner.. ethanol? if it's the internal power circuit would that be repareable? thanks
yes, clean the battery contacts, use isoproply alcohol for the cleaner. If the internal power circuit is bad then it will not be cost effective to repair.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK.. sounds like it's probably a right off but thanks for your help.