Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer
Experience:  20+ Years Experience in Field. MCSE, ICCP, CNE, Greenbelt
23511658

HiI have a caravan with an inverter built in and have

HiI have a caravan with an inverter built in and have recently purvchased a small security camera system.The caravan has electricity from 8am - 12.30am each day, with occassional power cuts during the day and has three good deep cycle batteries.In order for the secrutiy camera to be effective it should run 24/7. I have two sockets connected to the inverter so that I can use the TV and Sky when the power if off.My question is, could I pug the security camera into the inverter and run it thorugh that 24/7? Are there any downsides to this?ThanksMark.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today. Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.
The camera will be low voltage and draw very little current, so you should see no negative effects from using it with the inverter. In fact, many cameras run on DC current and do not require the inverted power. But either way, it should be no problem at all. Let me know if you have any other questions.Mike
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Mike
Thanks for the answer.
If I did this I would be running the inverter all day so based on your answer my next question is, as the inverter is already on could I also run my Sky+ (satellite tv) box through it. During the period there is no electricity it would most often be in standby mode.ThanksMark,
Expert:  replied 1 year ago.
In standby mode it will draw almost no current. So it should be OK. Of course, it will depend on the capacity of the batteries to which the inverter is connected. It could all be calcualed if we had the exact numbers and new how long the box would be used, but the only way to know for certain would be to try it. It definitely shouldn't be too much for the inverter to handle. The only question is how much active use you will get from battery.