Russell H.
Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  7+ years of professional experience
13568747

I used my Olympus Digital Voive Recorder VN-731PC to record

Customer Question

Hi, I used my Olympus Digital Voive Recorder VN-731PC to record an interview I did over the phone. I've done it before this way and it was fine. This interview, however, has a crackling sound over the top of the interview and I can't hear my client speaking.
Is there any way I can eliminate the noise so i can hear him speaking?
Category: Electronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question. (I regret that I am not able to offer Live Phone Call service at this time; However, your request is still open to other Experts in this category, and one of them may pick up on it at any time.) The noise may simply actually be on the line. If so (try listening carefully to that phone's line-noise, if any, on various calls... if the call your recorded was international and local numbers don't have noise, try listening to another international call however brief, and/or contact your phone service provider and ask them to do a line noise check, saying you heard crackling etc. on the line. That problem might also be owing to the connector or connectors/cables to the line from the Olympus recorder, being slightly loose or dirty, or the cable being defective too. Connect firmly, after cleaning (with a clean dry rag cloth, by wiping the ends of the cable's metal parts) and also try a new cable if the one previously used is at all old/used, or looks at all strained, severely bent, or was repeatedly coiled up and uncoiled again. Let me know more about the case, and how it turns out, and I will advise you further. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure my question was clear . I recorded a telephone interview where I spoke to the other person on the phone. My phone was on loudspeaker adn my voice recorder was next to the phone. It wasn' connected to a laptop/pc etc, just on record running on batteries. I've gone to transcribe the interview and I cant hear a word he said due to crackling over the top - on the voice recorder. Is there any way of getting rid of the noise on the voce recorder? Thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I think that's a problem in your voice recorder. Unless:- the table it was sitting on rattled??- the microphone on the voice recorder was sometimes touching something?- the loudspeaker was too loud? in which case, owing to AGC and 'clipping', the sound may have been recorded as somewhat rattling and crackling, or the like. Try a test recording at a lower volume and/or farther away from the phone, and see if the crackling/muffling of sound diminishes and begins to produce a coherent and good-quality recording.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks mate, all I'm really asking is is there anyway of taking it in somewhere and then being able to get rid of the noise on this particular recording so I can transcribe it. I might not get an opportunity to do the interview again!? Thanks
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I fear the recording may be lost. If what is in the foreground is noise, there may be no way to find anything underneath it when the noise is removed.But yes, an audio recording shop could try to filter out the frequencies in the bad recording, and removing some, see what's left behind.