Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note phone GT-N7000. Recently I have

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note phone GT-N7000. Recently I have been having a problem whereby I set it to ROAM on mobile networks for data but after a while it cancels the setting and when I go back to Settings the boxes Mobile Data and Data Roaming are unchecked. I live in France and my French is not good enough to discuss the matter with my operator. It keeps the WiFi setting normally but not always. I don't think that it's an operator problem as, because I have an Audi, I have an AUDI and therefore have AUDI connect which takes over the SIM card in the car and this is always OK. I think it's something to do with my phone settings which do not seem to be saved. I'm not going to do a "Revert to Factory settings" as it took me ages to set it up to work with AUDI Connect!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi there David!First, if you haven't already done so, power off the phone, remove the battery for a few minutes, then put it back in again and turn on the phone. Sometimes all that is needed to correct this problem is a simple reset.If that doesn't work, then it may be due to a problem with your carrier's data plan, or it may be an app you are using for power-saving is turning roaming off.In any case, to get around this problem you can install an app to always force Roaming to stay turned on:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2165364
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
OK I've followed your instructions and, for the moment, it's OK but that means nothing - it's something that only a few days will tell.
I've followed your link to the app which forces the phone to ROAM but I'm not really clear what steps to take to install it - can you walk me through it please - little step by little step?
regards
David
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My phone is already rooted!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried downloading file using QR code and file downloads but phone won't open it.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
What version of Android are you using?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4.1.2
I want to install this (or any other) app to do something positive as I'm a little afraid that if I just accept a "turn it off and turn it on again" solution I may well have the problem again after a couple days or so although I do know that these solutions often do work.
David
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can still reply back here at any time if you need further assistance, even after rating my service :)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I appear to have missed a stage - we seem to have moved from installing an app to force the phone to roam to "Job done" without anything in between and without even an explanation. I'm not very happy with this.
David
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,Quite often a reboot is all that is needed.What I meant to say was give that a go and if it still loses the roaming then we can look at getting the app installed.Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
Thanks for clarifying that.
I will need to wait until, say, Wednesday before I am convinced - or not - that the action taken has been successful. I still see installing an app as a more "belt & braces" solution after I have had the problem once. I went out the other day and was waiting for an e-mail which never arrived, returned home into my domestic wifi environment and had eleven e-mails including the one that I had been waiting for.
If there are no downsides to installing an an app then it seems to be a useful thing to do.
David
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi David,Installing the app could drain your battery more quickly, as it is "always on" which is why I am reluctant for you to go ahead with it if it is not necessary :)Let me know how it goes on Wednesday.Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete
I understand that but at least I would have the option (which I don't at present) if I had an app but I will wait until Wednesday if you prefer. I don't have a problem with battery life at present which is ample for my needs.
David
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so the app installation download and instructions are at:http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2165364
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete
I've installed it and so I'll contact or rate you on Wednesday.
Thanks for your help.
David
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Ok, let me know how it goes!Pete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,
Everything seems to be OK - thanks for your help.
David Firth