Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have an Onkyo Surround Sound Receiver TX-SR876 which when

I have an Onkyo Surround Sound Receiver TX-SR876 which when working is a wonderful bit of kit, unfortunately it has developed the well known HDMI board problem. Onkyo have extended the warranty to 2018 on affected equipment purchased between 2009-2012, however on contacting them I've been informed that mine is not one of the affected pieces of equipment. Before I throw it away in discuss, and vow never to purchase anything from Onkyo again. Please could you advise what the fix is. I'm aware that there are threads out there suggesting replacing the various capacitors, please advise whether this would be enough and whether the board would need a further upgrade so this doesn't happen again.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  michelleclive replied 1 year ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.Please let me know the problem a bit more in detail about the sound bar with the hdmi port is it physically broken?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not a soundbar it is an Onkyo Receiver TX-SR876. My problem is the following;I am experiencing the problem where when I switch it on the sound comes on for a couple of seconds then goes off again, and operates like this for 15 minutes or even longer before the sound settles down. On occasions it does not calm down at all. My cable box was also routed though it but now have no picture through the receiver at all. This is a well known problem affecting Onkyo equipment.
When you are getting sound for a couple of mins or seconds and the equipment stops producing the sound out put clearly states the problem is with the main circuit board however it will have to opened to check which part of the unit is bad it has many circuit boards and amps. this will require an experienced technician to identify which part of the board has faulted it could be the smps the power supply or it could be the amp section or the power output sound. I would suggest you to carry the unit to a repair shop and get it repaired there. This is totally a hardware issue which need to be fixed by a repair technician.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GgDEtSug2o
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michelle,you suggested that you would be able to assist me with this problem, giving the impression that you were aware of it, however your response suggests otherwise and no more help than I could have found myself online.