Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Nikon d300, when turned off the cf light blinks

Hi, I have a Nikon d300, when turned off the cf light blinks continuously and quickly drains the battery. I have tried a new cf card but the same thing happens. Is there a fix for this?
Rgds
Martin
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Martin and welcomeCan you remove the batteryThen hold the Shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.Put the battery back in, turn on the camera, turn it off and tell me if you still get the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi RICHARD, same thing happens - no change
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksWith it on, hold the Qual and +/- buttons for 5 seconds which will reset the camera.Then release and tell me if you still get the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The cf light is still blinking after that
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, to be sure, put the other CF card in and tell me if it is still blinking please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi RICHARD, I've tried it with 2 different cards - still the same blinking light
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Do you have a battery grip on the camera?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No battery grip
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks, ***** ***** cause the problem in some situations. It is the internal card reader that has faulted.We have ruled out all other causes for thisI am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the camera to have the port replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi RICHARD, thanks for your help, it's quite an old camera so will get a quote for repair and see if it's worth repairing or replacing
Martin
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome Martin,See if the cost is worth it, the biggest factor is what the repairer will charge you for labor.If you need anything else, please let me know.And please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit so I am credited.Thank youRichard