Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Panasonic 42" Viera. No antenna connection. Only

Hello! Panasonic 42" Viera. No antenna connection. Only Virgin Tivo Box. 2 x remotes one for TV one for Virgin. Both are working. When powering up the TV it usually goes to analogue no signal and we press AV on TV remote to move to the Virgin box.
Now - when watching a Virgin programme - the TV spontaneously drops out and moves to a screen with analogue or dvb channel / no signal ending by going to a frosted buzzy screen. If I use the remote to go back by pressing AV, it looks fine but then drops out spontaneously again. I have tried unplugging the TV at the mains for 10+ minutes. Can you assist please?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll assist you. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.1- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?2- How old is the TV and how long it have had the problem?Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - TH-42PZ800D
Between 4 and 5 years old.
Problem since yesterday
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info, what input of TV is connected to Tivo box and what type of video cable used for that?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Scart cable from Tivo Box into TV AV2 + USB cable from Tivo Box into TV HDMI 3
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Having hard time to get info of TH-42PZ800D model, can you please recheck the number written on back of TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry it's 800B - misread it
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** valid number, working on it.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
So do you select HDMI-3 input in TV to get Tivo picture or Scart input, AV-1 or AV-2
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HDMI 3 (or AV2)
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK and problem occurs regardless if select HDMI-3 or AV-2, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes as far as I know - by that I mean that it first happened spontaneously. The only way to maintain the Virgin feed (ie watch whatever channel the TIvo box is on) now is for me to stand in front of the TV and physically hold down the AV button on the front of the TV. When I take my finger off the AV button it stays ok for a few seconds then jumps out. I cannot make the normal change between HDMI 3 and AV2 - while you read this I will try again
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for this info, please try to unplug Tivo power cord from power socket for 3 minutes to reset, replug back in and let it boot up fully and check.Does TV stay on selected video input (AV2 or HDMI3) or jumps again to TV mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I push the AV button on the front of the TV, it goes to the Tivo Box picture as mentioned above. Although the "menu" of input options appears briefly it does not respond and remains on HDMI 3 (the current setting). There is a box on the screen (when showing the Tivo Box picture) that I have not seen before - a smallish grey coloured box with 4 x white rectangles, one of which has the word "CHANGE" above it. Then it jumps out as before soon after I release the button.When this first started, after "jumping out"
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, please press Menu button on TV or its remote, does menu screen come up and stay?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When this first started, after "jumping out", the picture spontaneously moved about between images of analogue BBC1 panel also "All DVB" panel - and upper left seemed to rotate around various settings including AV2. Use of the Tv remote (any button seemed to accelerate this moving about. when left alone, it stopped moving between such pages and reverted to a frosted, flickering screen as if zero input
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, I understand, can you please try what I requested in previous message?Press Menu button on TV or its remote to see if menu screen comes up and stays?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hang on. using the TV remote the viera main menu comes up and stays
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, it seems TV loses sync signal (part of video signal) from Tivo box that triggers the video input mode to go to default settings, which is TV mode.Can you please connect a DVD or bluray player into HDMI input of TV as a test to see if TV keep displaying DVD picture or goes back to TV mode?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok hang on
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No good. DVD played (into HDMI 1) briefly then jumped out and went to rapidly changing screen (e.g. upper left changing quickly between "wide and "16.9" and other such. TV remote then has no effect.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, is the DVD connected to TV with different HDMI cable or pulled it from Tivo box?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Different HDMI cable. There are two - one from the DVD into HDMI 1 and one from the Tivo Box into HDMI 3
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Got it, unfortunately TV symptoms indicating A Board is failing, A board is main board where video inputs (AV and HDMI) are located and replacement of A Board in TV will help to resolve the problem.I wish there was an easy or quick fix available for the problem but it is hardware related failure that requires board replacement physically and TV needs service by TV tech to replace the A board to fix the issue. I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.Regards,Shahid.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You have been very thorough thank you. I can't see any rating opportunity now. maybe it comes up after I send this?
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** be 5 stars on top or some where on this page to rate the given service, if this page doesn't show it then it is OK, I'll ask customer service to process the rating on your behalf.Wish you good luck!Shahid.