Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I'm having difficulty connecting our Clavinova CVP 305 to a

I'm having difficulty connecting our Clavinova CVP 305 to a USB - everytime we try to format a USB device it says unformatted disk.
I bought a Integral USB 2.0 SPLASH DRIVE 32GB which is on the device list as being compatible.
Please could you suggest what the problem may be.
Karen
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Karen,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You will need to format the USB device on a computer.Format it as FAT32.Then let me know if the clavinova recognises it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It formatted ok but when i put it back into my computer to copy songs onto, it said there was a problem with the device so i tried both options (scan and fix and scan and continue) and then when i put it into the clavinova to play the songs it said it was unformatted again. Any ideas why? Could it be the size of the USB device? it is an 8GB that i'm using at the moment.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Did you format it on the Clavinova or on the computer?What operating system does the computer use?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
First i formatted it on the Computer and then i formatted it on the Clavinova which worked, then when i put it back into the laptop to copy music on to it it said there was an error with the device but continued and put the music on. I then tried it in the Clavinova so i could play the music and it said it wasn't formatted.
The computer uses Windows.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Have you ever upgraded the firmware on the Clavinova?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No - sorry not exactly sure how you would do this.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can download the firmware and full installation instructions from:http://download.yamaha.com/search/product/?language=en&site=usa.yamaha.com&category_id=16086&product_id=105364
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks i'll this and let you know if it works.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
if I download it to the computer how do it get it onto the Clavinova?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
You can use a USB memory stick that has been formatted on the Clavinova to transfer the firmware.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok thanks- I've downloaded it onto the USB memory stick but what do I need to do on the clavinova when I plug the USB into it?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Connect the USB device to the Clavinova, then press and hold down the [START/STOP] button in the STYLE CONTROL section and turn on the power. Keep holding down the [START/STOP] button until the display shows "PROGRAM INSTALLER".After a few minutes, it should say that installations are started.Press the [START/STOP] button to start the installation. Follow the prompts on the Clavinova's display, and restart the Clavinova when the update is complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We put the USB in, held the start/stop button down then turned the piano on but it says please insert the installer card as if it doesn't recognise it.
Any suggestions?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
It may be that it doesn't recognise any USB devices then...This can happen if the USB connection on the Clavinova is worn from use.When this happens, the USB jack on the Clavinova needs to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The only thing is the floppy disk works and that plays through the USB port so how can it be damaged?
if it was the jack that needs replacing where and how would we do this?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Some USB connections may still work - if the contact pads are slightly longer on the floppy disk USB cord for example, it may just make sufficient contact to allow data transfer.You could try using several different types of USB memory sticks, and find that one or two still make sufficient contact.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what memory size would you go for? A Yamaha expert told me that the Clavinova CVP 305 wouldn't be able to take large memory USB's as they are older pianos. The one i'm trying to use at the moment is an 8GB - would you say that's too big?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
8GB should be fine. You will just need to try a range of different memory sticks to try and find one that connects fully.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we need to replace the jack on the Clavinova, how do we go about this and where do you get them from?