Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a lenovo laptop ideapad z500 and recently bought a samsung

Customer Question

I have a lenovo laptop ideapad z500 and recently bought a samsung UHDTV 40" UE40JU6410 to use as a monitor
I am trying to get the higher resolution on my TV, but cannot find how to do that. I have tried extending my 2 screens, but the best resolution I can get is 1920X1080.
Do I need to set up either my PC or the TV to aciheve a better resolution?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeThis is the maximum resolution the Lenovo can provide on the second output. Its not to do with the TV but the Lenovo.The only way to increase this would be to use a computer capable of a higher resolution. You would be looking at using a desktop computer with a high end card for this Patrick.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used an 28" acer display with a higher resolution, and my lenovo had no difficulty getting that higher resolution, so what has changed now?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
The Acer was a monitor correct and not a TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
and it was connected via VGA correct, or DVI (the square plugs with the screws to fasten)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no it was connected via hdmi cables
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
and how are you connecting to this TV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
also with hdmi
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Then the TV is only allowing this as the maximum resolution.But when your at the limit, you cannot change this. Usually its the Laptop thats the limiting factor but if you say you had higher on another monitor, then the Laptop is at the maximum set by the TV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is UHD so the resolution should be 3840x2160
I also have a Dell XPS 13 9350 and have exactly the same problem with the display as here?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, for television broadcasting, but not from a computer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told that the same resolution as for TV is available for a PC??
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No Patrick, the only resolution available is the maximum you can set it to via resolution. This is the maximum it goes and why you only get to 1920X1080.If it can go higher you have a higher setting available there.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So is the TV my problem??
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
One thing, as you say you got higher on the Acer, though I see none with higher specs then Full HD, but did you have it on duplicate display or extend displayAnd do you have it now on extend or duplicate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used the acer display on both duplicate and extended, the samsung TV is on extended display, as I have tried all the 4 choices and this seems to give me the right ratio, and show the icons proportionately
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but on duplicate as this uses the least graphics power, can you get higher resolution?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Patrick?