Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My Panasonic DMR EZ48VEB has the error code A1. and I cànt

My Panasonic DMR EZ48VEB has the error code A1. and I cànt get it to open the DVD tray. Please advise?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished. Can you please remove the power to the player (so unplug it from the power socket). Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the unit, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took the power away and it tried to reboot but still says A1/ AI
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you open the front flap on the player and hold the Channel up and down buttons for 6 seconds then release.this should reset it, so go through the setup process again and setup the player and tell me if it now functions correctly please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have done part of what you asked , the read out said reset and flashed '1' but I am sorry - how does one go through the 'set up' procedure', please?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
You will see it on the TV, what do you see on the TV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have got as far as having a list of options - is it auto set up I should choose?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That has all happened but I still can't get the disc reader to open though it knows that there is no disc inside.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, can you remove the power to the player.Hold the eject button and with it held, connect the power and tell me if it then opens please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Connect the power? sorry I don't understand
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
its ok, remove the power cable from the wall socket so it has no power, hold the eject button and with it held in, connect the power to the wall socket and tell me if it ejects please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy... unfortunately nothing happened
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, sorry its a tricky procedure but has to be done to rule out the firmware It is the drive motor for the tray that has faulted. This we have now confirmed I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the player to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - the guarantee has expired. I will have to replace the unit if there is no easy way of getting another motor fitted to the unit. Is this something that is possible or cost effective? If not, do you know if there are replacement recorders that do both VHS tapes and discs? If you are able to reply it would be appreciated - either way I would be pleased to rate your service
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no its not cost effective unless you were able to get hold very cheaply the same player and then replace it yourself, but then you would just use the other player.It is best in this situation to purchase a replacement sorry.
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good information - thank you