Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

When I transfer images taken on E-pl2 the files come up with

When I transfer images taken on E-pl2 the files come up with a bar acroos them and will not open. This has only started to happen recently. How do I open the images?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you tell me please which version of windows or Mac you are using?thank you
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mac 10.10.5 with Yosemite operating system.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks,Power off the mac Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup. Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc. Click the First Aid tab. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions. Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD"). Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk. Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, Have followed your instructions to the letter and it does not seem to make any difference to the Olympus viewer 2 system as I still get all the files as thumbnails, but closed with a bar across the small square in the center of the file, when I transfer these to Photoshop elements 11 they do not open there either. Any further ideas to sort this out. Michael.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you remove the battery from the camera, then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds then release.Once done, put the battery back in, turn on the camera, connect it and tell me if you still have the issue please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, Did as instructed with the camera, still no change, what can we try next or is it a fault in the Olympus software.? Michael
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
thanks,Do you have another computer available there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a windows system lap top.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, to rule out the camera and cable at fault, connect it to the windows computer and tell me if you can then open the photos please as a test
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have connected direct to lap top, images not transferring. all that comes up on lightroom are pictures I took on the camera last September and it does not seem to be reading the current pictures, M
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you put a new memory card in the camera,Then take a picture, connect it and tell me if that shows up
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I try it thrfough a card reader.? M
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
no, try a different memory card please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Used different memory card took one pic nothing showed up. M
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
can you try now the memory card reader please and see if that reads it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard. No luck, the lightroom prog seems to be stuck in the gallery section and it will not import any further pictures for me. I rarely use it anyway as i prefer to use the Mac. It usually works better. M
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, but try on the Mac, I want to see if the photo can be read from the card at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The image is now coming up in the Olympus viewer but the older images still seem to be blocked. Can we do anything about that ? M
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No sorry, these are corrupted, the steps we did removed the corruption but it wont fix the existing issues as it was an issue when it wrote the image.But new images are now ok correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only took one image and that came up correctly. Thank you. If I got a saving program would it rescue the other images off the cards or as I usually format cards at loading into camera, they may be totally blanked out? M
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
I remember you have a windows computer there, we can try one thing which is what the saving programs do.Put the memory card with the bad phones in the windows computer and tell me which Drive letter eg: G: it appears as and which version of windows you have
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, it has windows 8 I did upgrade to 10 but it gave so much trouble that I had to have it taken off and 8 reinstalled. However as long as the mac behaves ok I wont loose sleep over it. Michael.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
are you having difficulties finding the information?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok Michael, well any issues let me know, ill mark the question to remain openIf you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit Thank you
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer