Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

When I turn it on, no problem, but when I go to use the touch screen, nothing is happening

when I turn it on, no problem, but when I go to use the touch screen, nothing is happening. It's on now and the screen is showing where to? or view map, but touch either of them-nothing.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you tell me please the make and model of the device?Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Garmin Zumo 550
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.This is usually an issue with the Firmware, so I would first like you to do this please.Remove the charger from the unit and hold the power button to off for 35 seconds.Release, then connect the charger and try to turn it on and tell me if it now functions please.Let me know the results pleaseThank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already tried that, it didn't work
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** do not repeat steps you have already tried, can you tell me please all steps attempted?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Turned it on and pressed the power for 60 seconds as the booklet said, calibration screen appears, a black button in the left hand corner; pressed it nothing, all the buttons seem to be working except the touch screen!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** please do the following.Start with the device OFF and unplugged from powerTouch and hold the lower right corner of the screen with an index finger or the eraser end of a pencilContinue touching and holding the lower right hand corner of the screen then power the device ONRelease the power button when the device powers ONYou will see a new message: "Do you really want to erase all user data?"Remove your finger from the touch screen when this message displaysTouch YesThen tell me if it is resolved please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did as you suggested; it came on and scrolled through to where to or maps again, but nothing else. I tried it twice, it seems to want to work except that the touch screen is not responding.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks It is the internal digitizer that registers touch that has faulted. This now confirms it I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks anyway for confirming what I thought.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome