Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Unable to focus with M.ZUIKO DIGTAL ED 14-42mm lens Other

Unable to focus with M.ZUIKO DIGTAL ED 14-42mm lens
Other lenses are fine.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeCan you remove the lens and clean the connections on the back, they are the copper parts (11 of them) with a damp clothMake sure they are completely clean, let them dry, connect the lens and tell me if they now focus correctly please.Let me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No luck. When looking through view finder continually going in and out of focus.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksCan you remove the battery from the camera and then hold the shutter button down for 60 seconds, then release.then put the battery back in, turn it on and tell me if it will now focus please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still no luck. Now ln is in focus but it goes out of focus when the shutter button is touched.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, go to the Shooting Menu 1Select Reset and press OkSay yes and let it reset and tell me if it now works please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change. Have changed lens and all is fine. Put the 14-42mm back on and problem still there.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks It is the Lens alignment that has faulted, it may have suffered a jolt and moved in the holder, or the driver board in the lens that the camera communicates with has suffered a faultWe have ruled out the other causes for this. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the Lens to have it tested and the issue confirmed and repair. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time. I shall try to find a repairer but all the dealers appear to only want to sell a new lens, as I am a pensioner that is not possible.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
A good dealer, so a real camera store would look at repairing it, but get the cost first as depending on the issue it can exceed the cost of purchasing a new lens.If you need anything else Bob, please do not hesitate to let me know.And please remember the service rating via one of the stars at the top of the screen, then clicking submit.Thank youRichard.