Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a Fostex x28h high speed multitracker tape recorder,

Customer Question

Hi, I have a Fostex x28h high speed multitracker tape recorder, it came without an adaptor. I tried using a tascam adaptor for it which had an out put of 12V (the fostex has an input of 12V) but it started smoking immediately. It is very dusty but I have been informed it is in fully working condition.
Is there something wrong with the machine?
If there is something wrong with the machine, can you recommend a vintage electronic repair shop in London that I can take it to?
Can I use any adaptor (12V) with it, or do I need one which is specifically fostex?
If I need a specifially Fostex adaptor can you provide a link where I can purchase one?
Thanks!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Hi Rayna,Using the wrong adapter may have caused reverse polarity and has likely fried the machine.In London, you can contact Sonic Systems:http://www.sonicsystems.org.uk/tapemachines.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So even though the adaptor had an output of 12V and the machine had an input of 12V you're saying that this is definitely the "wrong" adaptor? Due to a difference in brand?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
There are many different adapters available, with different specifications not just different voltages - you will need to check the amp rating, polarity, etc. If you saw smoke then it is likely that something has gotten burned out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is burned out does that mean it is completely broken or can parts be replaced to make it work?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.
Any burned out components can be replaced.