Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Please can you help me? My Toshiba 40d3453db won't turn

Customer Question

Hello! Please can you help me? My Toshiba 40d3453db won't turn on! It just flashes yellow and red and the screen lights up but just goes to black. I've pulled the plug out, waited for up to ten minutes even and switched it back on... Still nothing! I don't know what to do!
Thanks! Holly
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you. Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished. Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket). Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release. Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard,Thank you so much for your advice. I got your message when I was in work, but before I left for work I thought I would just leave the telly to carry on with its flashing red and yellow and see what happened. I've come home to a telly that's working... I am now afraid to switch it off! If the problem reoccurs then I will follow your steps and be in touch.Thank you for your help.Kindest regards,
Holly
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, though it will have to go off at one stage Holly, but I will mark this question to not close, so any issues let me know.If you need anything else, tell me please and please remember to rate my service by clicking on one of the stars at the top of the screen then submitThank youRichard
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much, Richard.I turned off Internet and Netflix on the tv... It seems to be working now (I hope!). Thank you very much for your help and will be in touch should anything happen!Thank you and kindest regards,
Holly
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard,Unfortunately the fault has returned. I have followed your steps but no success. Tv will not switch on! Please can you help me further?Thanks,
Holly
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
When it goes black, if you press the menu button on the remote, does the menu show?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Morning,Apologies for the late reply. I was already on my way to work when I received your last message yesterday.When the TV is flashing, the screen is also changing between black and grey. The remote is completely redundant as the power button, menu button, volume etc. Do not work at all. Even the power button on the actual telly will not work. The TV simply continues flashing.If I leave it do to do this all day then when I get home from work 12+ hours later, the TV is then functioning. However, if I leave it on standby, it switches itself on at 3am! It has done this twice now. Then if i switch it off with the remote, wait for the flashing to end, then switch it off at the mains (as I don't want to be woken again!) it's hit or miss if it works again when I get up for work.I've only had it just over a year and it's typical that the waranty has just run out!Thanks!
Holly
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Holly It is the internal mainboard that has faulted, this now confirms it I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. If the warranty has expired, get a price first as the labor costs and the limited warranty you get may mean it is cheaper to purchase a replacement TV. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Thank you