TV-Tech1
TV-Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 years servicing Tellys
26807325

I have recently purchased a 4K Samsung 55" JU 6740 TV to replace

I have recently purchased a 4K Samsung 55" JU 6740 TV to replace my previous Samsung 42" plasma. The plasma had loudspeaker stereo output sockets which I connected (very successfully) to my Hi Fi Speakers. The 6740 does not appear to have a loudspeaker output but did come with a sound bar (HW J67500) which is nowhere near as good as the old system. How can I connect the 6740 to my old speakers? Can I use the headphone sockets suitably connected or is the output power not adequate? Alternatively can I connect the speakers to the sound bar?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
Can I use the headphone sockets suitably connected or is the output power not adequate? Alternatively can I connect the speakers to the sound bar?You probably should use your TV's OPTICAL OUT and get that Optical to Stereo Adapter to use rather than using your headphone jack for your loudspeakers. Of course you'll have to adjust the volume on your loudspeaker amp for each channel you change.You need a site that sells that adaptor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No! I can get an optical out to stereo adaptor at Maplins. BUT..... that suggests I need a separate amplifier to drive the speakers or am I wrong? I am trying to connect the speakers directly to the TV as before using the TV's own amplifier. Can I do that?
Expert:  TV-Tech1 replied 1 year ago.
No, you need an amplifier or you need a better soundbar for this TV set. Those are your only choices besides the TV's original speakers. You don't want to blow up the TV's main board, that would void the warranty on that. All you really need is to find a good used stereo amp on Ebay or similar site if you want to use your loudspeakers. The headphone output is inadequate to drive loudspeakers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought that was the case but I was not sure. I had already researched the ebay amps and there are plenty. The sound bar with sub-woofer is OK but not up to the original system. So be it.......... Thanks!