Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

As my best friend was on holiday in the US birthday

As my best friend was on holiday in the US for her birthday and there were a few TV programs on the French Channel F3, I decided to record them on my Panasonic DMR-HWT150 HDD for her, thinking that I would then copy them on a USB Key and give it to her as a birthday present. To no avail.... Although it recognised the Key it said it could not copy. Is there another way to do it? Perhaps an external HD. Or could I transfer the shows to my Laptop and then copy unto a USB Key?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeThe USB port is for playing content from the USB device on the recorder, the recorder does not have the ability to export the content. It's in a propriety format and is only for the recorder itself to use the hard rive sorry.The only technical method would be to use a computer with a capture card like thishttp://www.pinnaclesys.com/publicsite/us/products/dazzle/dvd-recorder-hd/Then connect the recorder to the computer and capture it.Then you can send it on a memory stickIf you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I checked the website via the link and I can't find anything about importing from HDD to computer, but:

"Includes the hardware you need to capture video directly from VCRs, analog camcorders, and even DVD players. Capture video at full DVD-quality resolution"

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, capturing is importing to the computer, thats how you import by capturing the content
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My question was not about this point but on the fact that it does not mention importing from a HDD, but only from VCRs , analog camcorders and DVD players.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
yes, but it will also work from your recorder, it will work from any device that outputs a video signal. I would not recommend it otherwise.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. Thanks; i will check to make sure my laptop has all the recommended technical requirements, my only question mark being the compatible graphic card. My laptop is an ASUS and the card is an NVIDIA. Anyway if all is fine with my laptop then I will order the Dazzle video Capture card.
Thanks for your help.

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Most are ok, as long as they have a bit of power, else get hold of a powerful desktop as it will work with that.But its the only method from these recorders.If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And please take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit Thank you