Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have HP Photosmart printer with error message 0xc19a0042.

I have HP Photosmart printer with error message 0xc19a0042. Three of my ink cartridges are non HP, but all bought from a good supplier and have been working for weeks.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard still the same error message.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ThanksIf you remove the ink cartridges from the printer Lesley, does the error message change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, still same message - "problem with printer or ink system" I printed one page this morning, then 5 mins later I got this message.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks It is the internal mainboard in the printer that has faulted. The other causes for this have now been ruled out. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have the board replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you. I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, how can you tell that that is the problem?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am on a boat in the middle of France and cannot get anything like this done
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
From the symptoms and error as well as the fact that we have ruled out the other causes for it Lesley
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One thing that might help - when I check on ink levels, even though they are all ok, the message shows that two of them are empty. Does that help?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
It confirms the issue, the mainboard is not functioning, it cannot check the levels correctly and gives the false reading.There is not a lot too these Lesley, when they fail there are only a few causes and to confirm, you go through and eliminate these and check the symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - HP seem hopeless. It is out of warranty, but only used for about 10 pages a month, so crazy that it should be broken in such a big way. Thanks for trying.