Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Sony Walkman radio cassette player WM-FX477. Sometime

Customer Question

I have a Sony Walkman radio cassette player WM-FX477. Sometime in the past, batteries leaked and corroded the battery contacts. Can these be replaced? If they can, perhaps you could direct me to where I might have this done. The player itself is in great condition and has been in a case all the time.
My email address is:***@******.*** or my mobile is ***********
Thank you in advance
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi John and welcomeI checked but the only part available for sale is the belt. But even ruse on the terminals would not stop it from playing if you cleaned them. It points to leakage on the mainboard and likely a capacitor or relay was corroded. The only way to replace this would be to locate a secondhand unit and use the mainboard, but it would be cheaper just to keep the replacement unit.If your quite technical, you could disasemble the unit and see what has been damaged. If it is a capcitor you could solder a new one on, and these you can get herehttp://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/passive-components/capacitors/They will be marked so you could see which one you would need. If its a circuit path thats been damaged, then your not really going to be able to repair this.I did check though for second hand units and found one here (a later model) for £16.50Click me to openYour particular model, there are none at the moment, but you can check on the site I gave you as they usually go frequently in working condition for £15 - £40 If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you