Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I own a Denon DM37DAB bougtht on 2008. Replacing the

Hi - I own a Denon DM37DAB bougtht on 2008.
Replacing the equipment after decorating, the CD player will now play for anything from 10 secs. to 2 minutes and then the power cuts off. For a split second before the power goes off, the message "V PROT" appears. We have no idea what this means. Can you explain?
We have played different CDs and used another power supply with no success.
***** *****
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomeThis means it has gone into protection mode and is caused by shorted speaker outputs inside the unit, a shorted speaker wire, or a blown speaker connected to the unit.Unplug the unit from the power socket for 10 minutes, and disconnect all of the speakers and anything else connected to it. Then when you plug it back in, press and hold the power button at the same time for 10 seconds then release.If the unit starts up normally start connecting the speakers one at a time (shutting the power down before connecting each one), until one of the speakers causes the indicator to come on. This speaker is faulty and would need to be replaced.Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi - we have followed your instructions without success. Just a query - when you talk about shutting down the power before connecting the speakers, do you mean from the power source at the wall or the standby button on the equipment?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
From the power source on the wall, is this what you did Brian?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** know it needs the output transistors replaced inside the unit. They are not user-replaceable as they are PCB mounted, and thermally coupled to a heatsink. In this case, the unit is in need of service. Below are the two locations I know of that are very good at Denon repair. At the bottom of the list is the address and phone number for Denon UK, who may also be able to recommend someone in your area. http://www.londonsound.org/repairs.htm http://www.4rfv.co.uk/brieflisting.asp?scategory=263&company=6598 Denon UKFirst Floor Imperial House4-10 Donegall Square EastBelfastMiddlesexBT1 5HDTel: 02890279830Fax: 02890312643If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you