nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have a kenwood radio with a garmin nav system it is asking

I have a kenwood radio with a garmin nav system it is asking me to update but im not sure exactly what the model number is ***** i cant find it in kenwood site or where is nearest dealer for support in Taunton Somerset It would appear to be a 2008 model BTmm-6u2
the unit id is(###) ###-####
can you help?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 8 months ago.
Hi Bern. Welcome to justanswer.You need to update Garmin sat nav and not Kenwood radio system.For updating it, you need to connect it to a computer using a mini usb cable. For Garmin, download the Garmin Express software and install it to your computer.When you launch Garmin Express, assuming that your sat nav is connected to the PC, it will be found automatically.Click Add Device. If there are updates to install, they will appear automatically. You don't need to find the model number.Reply if you have any query.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Went out and bought a new data transfer sub cable
Have you connected it with the computer and followed the instructions I gave above?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes I used my laptop and lost web connection so parked car underneath office near to the router connected new usb cable still not connecting .also now got harming express account
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Oh sorry predictive text is screwing up my lifeGARMIN account but still can't trace the correct model ,maybe 2008 is too old to update?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Do you see your device listed in your laptop when you connect it.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
No
Connect it again in some other usb port of your laptop. You should get a pop-up notification acknowledging the connection between Garmin and your laptop.
Have you installed Garmin Express Software in your laptop?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Yes it's just not connecting with the usb cable .ive tried all the ports .my partner is trying a company that recons IT can supply a cd with the relevant upgrades on ,but again they are not advertising a disc for a model as old as 2008
Check the cable by connecting your phone to laptop. Does your laptop detect your phone? If yes then cable is fine and the problem is with the sat nav.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
phone doesnt connect to laptop I guess i will have to buy another lead.but im away over the weekend ,talk tuesday thanks
Okay sure. Reply whenever you get time.
Hi Bern,How things have been going? Did you buy a new cable? It's Tuesday. Reply so that further assistance can be provided.Regards Nathan.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no i have spoken direct to both garmin and kenwood the unit unfortunately is no longer supported. therefore no leads ,no dvds or anything will update the maps ! short answer is I will have to go and buy a whole new unit .so im going to transfer my TomTom unit
That would be the best thing to do.Bern would you like to rate my services POSITIVELY?
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience: Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
Thanks for the ratings Bern. Cheer!