Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Can't switch tv off after connecting sony surround sound to

Can't switch tv off after connecting sony surround sound to my BT youview via toslink cable, should I have any other cable attached to tv/surround & youview box. I have hdmi cables attached from tv and youview box and toslink cable at the moment. Surround sound is working but as I say tv will not switch off
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
Hi there and welcomeIf you try to switch off the TV on the TV itself via the power button, does it then switch off?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ThanksCan you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket). Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release. Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Picture goes of but volume stays on
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, ThanksCan you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket). Then on the actual TV, hold the power button for 60 seconds then release. Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not worked Removed socket, picture went off but sound stayed on, should I remove hdmi cable and try again?
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
No, you need to remove the Power you cannot have sound from the TV when you remove the power as the TV then has no power to do anything.It appears you removed the wrong socket.Is it easier for you if I called?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did not remove the wrong socket
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, so you are saying you heard sound from the TV when you disconnected the power?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes but no picture
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hdmi cable to tv from surround sound and hdmi cable from youview box
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, I think we are having a mis communication here EricThe TV cannot play sound if you remove power to it, the TV is not able to do anything.Are you sure when you remove the power to the TV that the sound is coming from the TV and not the sound system?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes sound coming from surround sound speaker in front of tv sorry what a nurd
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, that explains it thenPress the menu button on the TV's remoteDo you see the menu appear?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'ts the surround sound system that is staying on
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Yes I see menu
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
ok, it looks like then your on the wrong input channel, press source or input on the TV until you get to a picture.Let me know the results pleaseAs it is switching off, the sound you hear is not from the TV
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If I turn surround sound of Will it affect recording program sound
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
No, it will have no impact on this.
Expert:  Richard replied 10 months ago.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Richard, Engineer
Experience: Electronics Engineer