Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My officejet6500 wireless does not print colours properly.

My officejet6500 wireless does not print colours properly. Dark Red appears the same as yellow and light red and green also appear as yellow.
There are new HP cartridges installed and I have utilised the cleaning programme in the printer.
Can you help?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and welcomethe cleaning program can take a number or runs to complete the cleaning.Can you run it another 3 times please and tell me if you can then get the prints to come out rightLet me know the results please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now done three cleans each followed by a deep clean. This now makes four in total. The printouts are only in black and yellow after the cleaning cycles. My check print is also still as before. I notice that the new colour cartridges seem to be depleting rapidly!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Did this problem occur with the old cartridges before you replaced them?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I thought they may have been empty, but now realise that the readings of half full were correct.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem has been evident for some time, the printer is three years old, and the problem maybe 3/6 months!
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, remove the cartridges and use a Q Tip to clean out the printer carriage where the ink goes into.Clean it out as much as possible and use a cloth to clean the underside of it.Once done, let it dry for 20 minutes and tell me if it is then resolved please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't have Q tips but used cotton buds (they're dry) and dry wiped all bottom of carriage. Lots of black came off. As all was dry have done a test run but problem is the same. Are Qtips necessary, are they solvent cleaners?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
Q-Tips are Cotton Buds (just the american word for them)You sure you got everything cleaned off it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the red and blue little circular feeder heads were quite thick with colour, but now are pretty clean. The test run I followed up with at the end was identical to the earlier ones. What is strange is that the computer and printer are reading that the colours are almost all out, and I only put them in two days ago and were reading full until I started the clean programme. Could it be that they are misreading and that is connected to the problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
No, as it would say they are emptyIt can be faulty cartridges, else its a faulty print headCan you put different cartridges in and tell me if it then works please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced with previous cartridges that read half full. Retest on Doc is just as before, only black and yellow. no red or green.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is a faulty print head, as you may think, can these be purchased independently as a replacement?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I assume the print head is the actual print cartridge carrier?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
this holds the print cartridges, but is the printer still under warranty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think it can be as it is approx 3 yrs old, and I didn't take extra cover.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From what you have said, I assume that there is nothing else we can do, or is there one last plan?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.
ok, you can order and replace the print head herehttp://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01643079But my honest advise is don't.With all the cost and hassle its much cheaper in the long run to purchase a replacement printer, as you only get a limited warranty and in the near future with the printer this age, your looking at roller issues, power supply and faults with the mainboard occurringWith printers the price they are now, I would advise to purchase a replacement. If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know. Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your advice. I'll click the stars.