Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

My Panasonic TX -P50C3B TV keeps turning itself off after

My Panasonic TX -P50C3B TV keeps turning itself off after about 5-10 mins use and the only way I can get it to stay on is to re-tune it on auto tune, how can I fix it?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.- Is the TV connected to aerial/ antenna for channels?- Does TV lose channel picture only and keep the sound?Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV is connected to aerial on the chimney but it does go through a TalkTalk youview box which is connected to the internet via a router. It has worked fine for since the youview box was added 3 years ago.
TV loses channel picture and sound and goes completely dead until I switch it on again when it stays on for 5-10 mins again and then goes completely dead again. If I go to menu and run auto re-tune it will then stay on for the rest of the evening but the problem will re-occur when I have finished with the TV and I come to switch it on again and I can only get it to stay on if I auto retune it again.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info.- How old is the TV, any idea, and how long it have had this problem?- Also, can you connect another video source such as DVD player etc just as a test to see if TV still switches Off itself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The TV was bought new in December 2011
The problem only started yesterday
I will try and connect a DVD to see if it still switches itself off
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, I'm waiting DVD test result which will help to troubleshoot the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The DVD ran OK for over 30 mins without a problem and other TV's in the house work OK without turning off and needing re-tuning
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the info, it seems TV has some problem with builtin tuner box which is causing the problem.- Please unplug TV power cord from wall socket for 10 minutes to reset, replug back in, turn it On and check if it stays On while watching TV channels?- If problem still persist then need to restore TV to default factory settings, press Menu and go to Setup option and find Shipping Condition, select it and press Enter to restore TV to default settings. Unplug power cord for 5 minutes, replug back in, turn it On and go through Initial/ First Time Setup wizard that should pop up on screen and check TV performance.Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried what you suggested. I unplugged the TV and left it unplugged then plugged it back in after 10mins but it soon switched itself off again so i tried restoring the TV to factory settings as you suggested. The TV then stayed on for a while but then switched itself off again. I switched it back on and it came on without having to retune it and it has now been on for about 30 mins. I will let you know if it goes off again and if it does what I have to do to get it back on.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
OK, please take your time and keep checking on TV.If it still turns Off itself then check the power indicator light on TV, what does it do?Does it blink or stay solid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I switch the power to the TV on the the red power indicator light comes and stays on on and when I press the remote to turn the TV on the power indicator light flickers green and then the green light remains steady. The TV screen then goes blank after about 5 mins although the green power indicator light stays on green and does not flicker. If I turn the TV off (Indicator goes red) and then turn the TV back on (indicator goes green) it stays on until I have finished watching it and I turn it off.
When I next come to turn it on it will again only stay on for about 5 mins before the screen goes blank and I have to repeat the turning off and then on procedure to get it to stay on. Do you have any other suggestions how to make it stay on when I switch it on? Thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for detailed reply, it seems builtin tuner is faulty and causing the problem (picture disappears while TV stays On), replacement of tuner or entire main board of TV will resolve the issue but it would cost good money and alternate solution is to connect set-top box into AV/HDMI input of TV, plug the antenna into set top box to use builtin tuner to watch channels. This way you wont need to take the TV in for repair. Since TV works fine with DVD player so it will also work good with external tuner box/ set top box.I trust my input will help you out. Please feel free to respond if you have any additional questions.A positive rating to answer would be greatly appreciated, please click on 5 star on this page then click submit/finish button so I can get credit on website for my work. If you don't see rating option then intimate here.Regards,Shahid.