nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

My wifes Galaxy 6 has just had 5.1.1 upgrade pushed onto it

My wifes Galaxy 6 has just had 5.1.1 upgrade pushed onto it and it appears she has now lost all her phone contacts. Urgent help needed
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul. Welcome to justanswer.Go to Settings- Accounts. See if Google is listed there or not.Reply so that I can assist you further.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't think the rest of the question was added. I cleared the cache etc from google and synced but only one vcf card appeared in the contact. So I downloaded a piece of software called Dr Fone to try and recover my contacts. In a nutshell it made things worse and I now have a restart scree and RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDRIOD ENFORCING. This is my work phone so I am very worried about losing everything on it....
Right at the screen where it is stuck in “RECOVERY IS NOT SEANDROID ENFORCING” and the Samsung Galaxy S6 logo appears press this 3-button combination Home,Volume Up and Power buttons.
Once a warning messages showed that says press volume up to continue and press volume down to cancel, press the volume down button instead. Wait until the phone reboots and see if it goes through the Samsung screen and booted further into the home screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says if you want to downlad a custom OS press volume up or down to cancel.....
Press volume down
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it just goes back to the restart screen with the same error :-(
Then the only way to fix it is by reinstalling the original and official Android 5.1.1 firmware update. But before that tell me if you phone still under 1 year warranty?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is
Actually the firmware upgrade has not been installed correctly. There is one more way to correct this issue (Factory Reset) but it will wipe all the data. But sometimes mere factory reset won’t work as changes may have been made to the core system of your firmware.
If you want to perform a factory reset and check if it works or not, I can guide you through.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK so the factory reset means will lose the data?
it will wipe all the data and but you can restore contacts from your google account.But if you don`t want a factory reset then according to me the best thing to do now is to contact Samsung so that they will install a fresh copy of the firmware. I can give you the procedure to restock the firmware through Odin but this will mend the warranty which is not advisable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are my contacts not on my sim card/device? They are just phone contacts?
I am not worried about anything else on the phone just contacts
Did you put a gmail account on your phone before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a gmail account
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on my phone ...:-)
If you had a gmail account on your phone, then the contacts can be restored once this firmware issue is resolved.No need to worry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK lets do It !!
Can you turn off this device.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Try pressing and holding the power button until it turns off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its just keeps cycling through start up....
Before it starts, hold the volume up, home, and power buttons down simultaneously until the screen shows the Android Robot.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't do anything, it only brings up a warning screen if I press the volume down button home and power, which os the custom OS warning etc
Actually your phone is stuck in Download mode because of which it is only giving the option to download custom OS.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did download the latest Kies 3 from Samsung onto my PC to do a firmware upgrade and installation........will that help?
No it won`t. Actually the ROM file has got a bug which cannot be corrected by Kies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK...........
Try pressing and holding the Power button and the Volume Down button at the same time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
nope doesn't do anything
See I can provide you with the Firmware file so that you can update the ROM but this is not advisable as it mends the warranty plus it is a bit tricky process. I strongly advise you to contact Samsung at your nearest store. (You can locate a store by CLICKING HERE) and they will install a fresh copy of Original firmware. And since it is under warranty, you will not be charged for it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thank you.
Would you like to rate my services positively?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah sure
You can rate the chat by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel. Thanks.