Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I cannot record a programme. The message is 'Sky+ playback

Customer Question

I cannot record a programme. The message is 'Sky+ playback and recording are not available'. I have tried unplugging the Sky+ box and taken out my card and wiped it. The card appears to have a burn mark on the opposite side to the chip. How can I resume being able to record programmes?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to hear your having difficulties.
When the error appears does it state if it is a 'system fault', if not its unlikely to be a fault with the hard disk.

The error normally appears when there is a problem with your account or its unable to decode the signal properly. The fact you mentioned the card is showing signs of damage, this is most likely to be the cause of the problem.

However if you want to try fault finding the box first, you could try rebuilding your planner:

1. Press services on your Sky remote.
  2. Press the right arrow button to highlight Settings.
  3. Press select.
  4. Press 0, then 1, followed by select to access the Setup screen. You'll now see a new set of screens that are normally hidden from view.
  5. Press the left/right arrow buttons to highlight Sky+ Rebuild.
  6. Press select. You'll now see this message: "This will take a few minutes to complete. The rebuild will stop all recordings and reboot your Sky+HD".
  7. Press select to start the rebuild. The onscreen message "Housekeeping please wait" will appear and then disappear within two minutes. The Planner rebuild may take up to four minutes in total.
  8. Once complete, your Sky+ box will automatically switch itself off and then back on. The red standby light on your Sky+ box will then come back on again (newer boxes have an amber standby light).
  9. Wait for a further two minutes after the red standby light has appeared.
  10. Press sky on your remote control.
  11. When the power light on your Sky+ box changes to green try using your Planner to record and view recordings as normal.

If this doesnt work, its time to arrange a replacement card, the fastest way is to give Sky a call on 03442 411 653.