Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Have a Samsung PS42A 457P1D plasma display - about 7 years

Have a Samsung PS42A 457P1D plasma display - about 7 years old. The sound has developed a background 'booming' echo. Any ideas what's going on ?? Mny thanks.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Can you please elaborate booming echo with bit more details?

- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The booming/background echo sound effects come on after the TV has been turned on and remain throughout. Average delay is about 5 minutes. The TV is connected to a cable box only. This fault has only appeared over the last few weeks. My thoughts are is that it is an overheating component in the speaker system, but you may know better ?
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the info. Can you connect another video source such as DVD player etc as a test to see if sound problem occurs or TV gives normal sound?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will try this out later next week and advise you. TV is at my mother in law and she's 90 and has no idea how TVs operate.
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Sure, take your time.

If TV gives normal sound with DVD playback that means TV itself is fine and problem would be coming from cable box that should be rebooted to resolve the problem. Unplug cable box power cord from wall socket for 5 minutes, replug back in to reboot and check sound output.

Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Apparently there is no cable box and TV is connected to wall socket with TV distribution through a central reception system within the small block of flats she lives in. If there was a common problem, others would have reported it. Methinks it is a TV problem and if that is the case, what would be the solution ?
Expert:  Shahid replied 10 months ago.

Actually I found this in your reply.. The TV is connected to a cable box only. and my reply was based on that info.

DVD player test will confirm the TV sound output and if problem only occurs on cable channels then it is related to TV builtin tuner which process the signals. I would recommend to retune the channels in TV by going into channel menu and run auto program/ channel scan to see if it helps to correct the sound issue.

If problem persist then tuner of TV will need to be replaced which would cost you good money to take the TV in local TV repair shop, alternate option is to get set top box that would have builtin tuner so connect the set top box into AV/HDMI input of TV and plug the cable/ aerial into set top box and use its menu to run channel scan to get available channels with normal sound.

I hope these info will help, please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Shahid, Technician
Experience: I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks for your response I am happy to close the enquiry. Regards.