Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Sony recorder RDR-GX300. It has suddenly decided to

I have a Sony recorder RDR-GX300. It has suddenly decided to refuse to record although the play function is ok. There has not been any change in position, cable or connections. I have an electronic manual which I have used to try to solve the problem. I di find it complex and difficult to understand. Might I have given the machine an inadvertent command which has disabled it? Otherwise I'd be grateful for any guidance you can offer. Thanks. ***** *****
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome

What exactly happens Anthony when you try to record?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine says "disc not recordable " but I have tried TDK discs which I have been re writing for years. I've also tried maxell and verbatim but they all give the same result
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Can you please remove the power to the recorder (so unplug it from the power socket). Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the unit, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly. Let me know the results please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, should have said, I've tried that before but no go
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I want you please to reset the recorder, so this returns it to new.

To do this

While in stop mode, press the system menu

Then setup and enter

Easy Setup then enter

Press Start, follow the onscreen instructions and once set up again, tell me please if it then functions correctly.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I do this with a disc in or not ? I'm not near the machine at present (a bit unwell so in bed) can I contact you again in about one hour? If so will this page remain open? Thanks for your patience
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Disk out please, and in an hour is no problem, you can leave the page open

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm back. Followed your instructions but no progress - still the same outcome although I don't understand the set up options such as line two or digital output or component out jack. I'm connected with a scary via a sky box. When I put a disc in the little screen says "disc error" and yet it happily plays what has been previously recorded on the disc. When I press the record button the little red indicator light does not come on
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is either the Lens is dirty or the recording Laser has faulted.

Can you use a Lens cleaner on the recorder, such as this one

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-CD-DVD-Lens-Cleaner/dp/B000S5UJRQ

Clean the lens and once done, try to record.

If it still does not record, it will be either the recording Laser or the mainboard that has faulted and would need to be replaced.

In this event, you going to have to return the unit to have a diagnostics performed and the faulting component replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

If you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. It is a long time out of warranty. I'd did try the lens cleaner some time ago but will give it another go. If not then it might be more economic to buy fresh. Thanks for your help