JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have a Roland D50 and it has just started to display

Hi, I have a Roland D50 and it has just started to display "check internal battery" at power up, does removing the back up battery in order to replace affect the original sound patches loaded by the manufacturer??
There seems to be lot's of confusing information regarding this on the net, most seem to say as soon as the battery is removed, it completely wipes everything.
Have only found one reference that says these factory loaded sounds are stored on an "e-prom" ? and will not be erased.
Look forward to your advice.
Mike.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi Mike,

The factory loaded sounds are stored on a ROM (Read only memory), this is a persistent storage medium, so you will not lose the data when the battery is replaced.

Other user defined settings and affects however will be lost by changing the battery, one way to get around this is to leave mains power connected when you change the backup battery, however I have have mixed success in doing this.

I hope this reassures you, so that you can now proceed to change the battery without the loss of the factory loaded sounds.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James, regarding your reply, leaving mains power connected is definitely not the way to go.
After removing the whole underside/base panel for access, you then remove the printed circuit board where the 'button cell" battery is located in it's holder. You can view all of this on u-tube video clip, I was merely seeking clarification from you regarding loss of the factory "sound patches or pre-sets" which a lot of information on Google etc seems to say that battery change will instantly loose all of these.
I would appreciate if you would research this a little further to clarify, for my own peace of mind.
I am currently away from home working in Europe, so have not had the opportunity to apply what you recommend.
Back in UK Friday a.m.
Mike.