nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4 (too nervous to

I have a Nexus 5 running Android 4.4.4 (too nervous to instal the update!) and it just recently developed two/three problems:
1. No sound coming out of the speaker either on the phone or via headphones while either playing music, iPlayer or using the phone.
2. touchscreen stops responding to certain commands
3. Bluetooth connection to car handsfree is erratic and doesn't always connect / recognise the phone or respond to commands via the handsfree unit
All the above problems seem to be fixed by turning the phone off and then on again which makes me suspect this isn't a hardware issue but some sort of bug, but within a day or so they return even with relatively little use of the phone.
Battery seems to drain more quickly too. I haven't installed the android updates and still running same OS as before and haven't installed any new Apps except reinstalled a Sky App that had stopped working at about the same time this problem started.
Any ideas?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 9 months ago.

Hi Sally. Welcome to justanswer.

Install the updates. There is nothing to fear. This issues may be fixed with the new update. Install it and then reply with the updated query.

Have you installed the update Sally?

Hi Sally, just checking in. How did things turn out?

nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience: Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
have done so. All seems fine so far but there are a few updates to instal and have had a new one today so need to do that. But the original problem hasn't re-occurred as yet. Thanks for your help. I will come back to you again if things do go awry! Many thanks. I was reluctant to do it because I had read that a few people had had issues when the update first came out. But I will just go for it in future! only issue I now have is that the battery usage seems to have got worse so I need to look into how to optimise that when I get a moment. It seems some of the Apps e.g. Google Play are using a lot of battery in the background even thought I'm not using them but the update forced me to have them.

Sure. Reply if you get any problem, I will help you out.

Please rate the chat positively by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel so that I can get credited for my services. Thanks.

You can use some tips to reduce battery usage.

• See what's sucking the most juice. Navigate to Settings > Battery to see an organized breakdown of what's consuming your phone's battery. Applications and features will display in a descending list of battery hogs. If you see an application you barely use or a feature you never use, you'll want to uninstall the app or turn off the feature.
  • Turn unnecessary hardware radios off. It's great that today's phones have LTE, NFC, GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth, but do you really need all five activated 24 hours per day? Android keeps location-based apps resident in the background, and the constant drain on your battery will become noticeable, fast.
  • Trim apps running in the background. From Settings > Apps, swipe to the left; you'll see a list of apps that are currently running. Tap on each one to see what they're for; you can stop any apps that you don't need running in the background all of the time.
  • Dump unnecessary home screen widgets and live wallpaper. Just because they're sitting on the home screen, seemingly inactive, doesn't mean they're not consuming power. This goes for widgets that poll status updates in the background, as well as ones that just sit there but look pretty and animated—not to mention animated live wallpaper. (But don't dump everything, as part of what makes Android great are the home screen customizations; just remove the ones you don't use.)
  • Turn down the brightness and turn off Automatic Brightness
  • Applications often get updated to use less battery power, so you should make sure your apps are up to date. Even if you configured the phone for automatic updates, some apps still require that you manually install updates. Check for app updates in Google Play by hitting the menu key and going to My Apps.

Don't forget to rate my services (by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel.

Reply of you need any assistance.