JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have a 61 plate Ford Mondeo with Sony in car entertainment

Hello, I have a 61 plate Ford Mondeo with Sony in car entertainment system, the phone and aux have stopped working and it just says 'audio muted'. Ford say I need to speak to Sony, can you help?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Can you advise the model of the Sony headunit, this is likely to be one of two issues.

1. The mute feature has been enabled in the settings

2. There is a lose wire on the DIMM plug at the the back of the headunit.

I assume you have tried un-muting the radio by pressing the mute button on the steering wheel?

Once I hear back from you I can see what we can do prior to needing to get an engineer our to investigate the fault.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks James. Where do I find the model number of the unit? Also, neither I nor several others can find any kind of mute button anywhere - can you advise where one might be?!
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

You would normally find the model number in the entertainment user guide \ manual which came with the car.

Assuming you have a stick on the steering column to control the phone and voice control, I can confirm there isnt a mute button on that, the mute button is only present on the controls which are built into the steering wheel.

The gen 4 radio has a mute button under the red end call button on the right hand side of the radio, since you cant find it, I believe you have a gen 3. I have however come across two things you can try which may fix the problem (if these fail) it would point towards a hardware failure, and need to go in to a dealer as you have to remove the glove box to get to the unit which is no easy job.

1. Press the voice control button, then say "Phone", wait a couple of seconds then say "Accept calls"
  2. Disconnect the battery for 20 minutes, then reconnect it (this should reset the radio's settings)
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks James - disconnecting and reconnecting the battery seems to have done it. Any further problems I will let you know but I will rate you now.