nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have a canon photocopier iR1230 and i have just replaced

i have a canon photocopier iR1230 and i have just replaced the toner but i am getting an error message " waster toner full" "Replace Drum". Please help. Thank you.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The 'Waste Toner Full' and the 'Replace Drum' message, are both routine maintenance messages.

The Waste Toner Bottle or Waste Toner Container replacement is part of a routine maintenance kit replacement cycle. Waste toner goes somewhere - into a bottle or tank. Some can take it out, empty it of waste toner, give it a thorough but not abrasive wash (to get the toner off but not scratch the plastic, to avoid making it opaque, since its 'fullness' is read optically)... but it is more likely to have no problems if replaced with a new one.

Replacing the drum in some printers and copiers goes with replacement of toner. An unreplaced drum may, as its surface coating wears away, produce poorer and eventually sub-par prints/copies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the reply but the photocopier will not copy
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Did you replace the waste toner bottle, and replace the drum?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced the toner but we don't know where the bottle is that you refer to - where is it located? We have the machine 15 years or so and we haven't changed/emptied bottle yet. Thanks.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

The bottle ought to be of plastic, transparent (at least, before it got toner all over its interior) and full of black stuff almost to the top.

It won't be high up in the machine, but lower down probably.

And there is no help as to where it is in your model - for the ImageRunner series, it seems the advice is to 'follow instructions that will appear on the control panel screen' for replacing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked the machine today and there is no bottle to empty - please help
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

Is the message still on the screen? about replacing Waste Toner container/bottle/whatever ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the message is still on copier but it is not connected to my PC as we use it as a stand alone copier. What else can we do??
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.

If the message is not accompanied by a diagram of how to remove the waste toner container... or if it doesn't show such a diagram when the message is responded to... then that is quite unusual for this model of Canon printer/copier, and I wouldn't know how to advise you on it. I have tried researching this very issue, and found no information on it, so I have Opted Out of this case, with apologies.

Expert:  nathan_mills replied 1 year ago.

Hi Wilma. I will now be assisting you

CLICK HERE and then press I Agree. A file will get downloaded. Just open/run that file to start the remote desktop session.

Wilma, reply whenever you are ready to start the session.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nathan - can you advise if you can help repair the issue with copier?

Wilma start the remote session.

http://www.justanswer.co.uk/remotedesktop/join.aspx?Session=ab3bd586-e91a-42d2-a65f-fe24b4b4763d

Click this link and press I Agree. A file will get downloaded. Open that file.

Are you facing any difficulty in starting the remote desktop session?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
can you help me with the copier or not?

Wilma, you need to replace the Drum unit located inside your copier. It is a bit technical procedure and requires dissembling the entire copier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply. Can you give me intructions to do this please?

Should I give you the service manual. Give me your email id. I will mail it to you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
please send me manual and we will try it, thanks. My email address is***@******.***

Check your mail.

nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience: Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.