JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

Yamaha Portatone PSR15 - no power (light does not

Yamaha Portatone PSR15 - no power (light does not illuminate) when the power adaptor KPA 1 is plugged in and switched on
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Hi welcome to JA, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you with your query today.

The most likely fault is the power supply, can you confirm if the power supply was the one shipped with the keyboard (PA-5D)?
If you have a multi meter, plug in the power supply and use the probes to check your getting 12V across the centre and outer part of the round plug, if you dont you could look for another product which takes a 12V input and try the power supply on that to see if it powers on. Failing that go down to your store and buy 6 "D size batteries" and put them in the keyboard. If the keyboard comes on then its the power supply if it doesnt its looking likely to be the keyboard, at which point it would probably be uneconomical to repair.

If it points towards the power supply you can buy a replacement for under £12 here.

Please let me know how you get on testing the power supply.

James

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi James, many thanks for the prompt feedback. The keyboard has been unused (in storage)for several years and I don't know why the KPA 1 adaptor ( it says 10.6v output) was stored with it. This has obviously been the problem as, following your advice, I found a 12v cigarette lighter connector with a suitable socket and, guess what, it was playing again! (Though only in the car!) We have a good electrical outlet (Maplins) nearby, and I'm sure that I will be able to get a correct adaptor from them, which will save me the cost of trying batteries, which I'm sure will be expensive. Thanks again, James,
George