nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

Whenever I try to print I get a message saying the printer

Whenever I try to print I get a message saying the printer is offline. I used to resolve this by uninstalling and re-installing every time (!) but since my laptop upgraded itself I can no longer find any printers to install (the old "windows" used to give me a list - now it just says "the printer I want isn't listed, but doesn't give me any at all). Can you advise? I'm using an Epson printer over a wifi connection from a Toshiba laptop with Windows 10.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 9 months ago.

Hi Veronica. Welcome to justanswer.

Would you like remote assistance. I will resolve the issue for you.Your printer is set as offline. You will need to set it online

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. Can you think of any explanation why it always says it's off line.

Go to Control Panel

Do you find Device and Printer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where's the control panel - I no longer get a proper start menu on this version of windows - I can find "printers and devices" under "settings.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have Printers and scanners in the devices menu of settings

That is something else. Right click on Windows logo (in left corner)

You will find Control Panel listed there

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry but it isn't = file explorer, settings, power and all apps is all I get plus a lot of apps

Go back to home screen. RIGHT CLICK on the logo in bottom left corner

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Aah - sorry I missed where you said RIGHTclick. I've got it now.

You will see control panel on that list

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I can see view devices and printers or add a device. When I view devices my printer is there and ticked as the default.

Right click your printer, you will see USE AS OFFLINE. Untick it.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't see that option - and I did RIGHT click this time
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
HiThis is a bit embarrassing - I just had another go at printing the document and this time I didn't get the offline message and it's worked.

Do you see WHAT`S PRINTING

When you right click the printer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's printed now so when I right click "see what's printing" there's nothing in the queue. But before it was showing nothing as well. Though in the print menu from the Word Document it was showing that there was a document in the queue. The problem seems to have resolved itself this time, but I still can't understand why it does it every time. Maybe everytime if I wait as long as I've spent talking to you it'll resolve itself.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi again, Nathan. I'm sure you would have solved the problem for me eventually if it hadn't solved itself, so thanks for your efforts. At least I now know that I have to right click to find the control panel - that's been mystifying me ever since the laptop decided (against my wishes) to upgrade itself to the latest Windows. All the best. Veronica

Click SEE WHAT`S PRINTING. Then a window will open. Select Printer from that list and you will see USE PRINTER OFFLINE. Uncheck it.

Please rate the chat positively by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel so that I can get credited for my services. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's great - I'll try that in future.

Do rate me positively by clicking the stars

nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience: Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.