Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have a AV Receiver SA-BX500; it has started coming up with

Customer Question

I have a AV Receiver SA-BX500; it has started coming up with the message U701. The manual states that the unit is connected by HDMI to non-compatible copyright protection equipment. Nothing has recently changed, it has always been connected to a Panasonic DMR-BS750 and a Samsung (Virgin Media) cable TV box. On the HDMI output is a Panasonic TV TX-L37S10B, although I'm pretty sure it is only the HDMI inputs that cause this message. I've tried swapping HDMI cables and only having either the Samsung or the DMR connected at one time and the message U701 still appears. So I deduce that the problem lies in the SA-BX500. If you disconnect all HDMI cables from the units (DMR and cable TV), the message doesn't appear.
I asked Panasonic and they said: -
In response, with all connection leads connected, on the remote control press and hold Option Port-Setup for about 2 seconds, then select Reset and confirm with OK. Select Yes and OK to confirm again, then press Return several times to select Exit and press OK to finish the setting. Operate the unit with the equipment connected and check if the error display appears again. If it does, please contact an authorised service centre for an inspection.
The unit would only cost about £80 to replace with secondhand unit, so I'm not sure that paying a service centre to fix it is economical. I'm fairly adapt with electronics, so if anyone can provide a circuit diagram I may be able to fix it!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a firmware related issue not a hardware one, most likely the AV box has received an update which is now checking for copy right protection or the encoding has changed on the input boxes (DVD and cable).

In the first instance I would look to check all 3 devices have the latest update applied, some cheaper brands of HDMI are known to cause issues with data transmission, which may be why the AV cant authenticate and verify the products are not copyright protected, however as you have already tried another cable this sounds unlikely.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think that I've tried 1 box connected at a time, but I haven't tried to update the firmware on all units. I'll try that and let you know if this works.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

Ill stand by, and wait to hear back from you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You cannot update the SA-BX500's firmware. The other units automatically update and are at the current revision.
Expert:  JamesI replied 1 year ago.

This sounds like a firmware fault, unfortunately the only other thing I can suggest is doing a factory reset, failing that it will need to have the firmware flashed which can only be done at a service centre.

The process to perform a factory reset is defined on page 40 of the manual here.