Carl L
Carl L, Technician
Experience:  13+ Years of Computer and Electronics Experience. Current Company Owner as an IT Specialist in FL.
27991594

My toshiba 32DV502B tv has sound but no picture..? it says

Customer Question

my toshiba 32DV502B tv has sound but no picture..?
it says on screen:
the video format is not supported
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 1 year ago.

Which video input is the source connected to on the tv? AV, HDMI 1,2,etc...

What type of device is the input video source? Sat, DVD player, etc....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hdmi1 sat tv box but it makes no difference when i disconnect the cable and device

Okay, try a retune first please.

• Make sure your sat, Freeview TV or box is on and in digital mode, usually by pressing the DTV or digital button on your remote. Then press 'menu'.
  • Select the 'set up' or 'installation' option. If you see picture icons, select the tool box, satellite dish or spanner. If you are prompted for a code, try 0000 or 1234.
  • Select the full retune option. This is sometimes called ‘first time installation’, 'factory reset', 'default settings' or 'shipping conditions'. Do not select 'channel update' or 'add channels'.
  • Press ‘OK’ if your equipment asks if you want to delete all your channels. Don't worry this is normal
  • Channels will automatically be installed. This may take a few minutes and your equipment may shut down and restart
  • In some cases, where transmitter signals overlap, it may be necessary to carry out a manual retune.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right i have done that, by the way my free view tv box is internet not sat: OTT TV BOX same thing channels get listed as if they are there and it looks as if the reception is good but no pictures and only sound on 1 channel...
still saying
The Video format is not supported
Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I'm Carl. It looks like the Expert you were working with decided to opt out but I'll continue where he left off. I've seen this a few times up at my repair store and what's happening is your TV only supports up to 720p Resolution but it sounds like the device you are plugging in is trying to display in 1080. As a result, you will get an error on your TV that says the video format isn't supported. I don't know the history of what worked, what didn't, and when so if this info isn't enough to resolve your problem, I will need to know a little more about what got you to this point in the first place.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Carl, right here we go I am in France and the tv I brought from England has worked fine using my normal French Ariel and I was getting Digital French TV. perfectly. I arrived here in france yesterday and brought with me this OTT TV Box which apparently receives free English TV through the internet which I have got. I plugged my new box in and tried to get the English Tv which I have and it works ok but now I cannot get the normal French Digital TV.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have now unplugged the Box and retuned my TV to Digital but I am getting no picture but sound on only 1 station. the TV says that the signal strength and quality is good but no picture.
Expert:  Carl L replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the additional info! When you say OTT Box are you referring to an OTT Android Box that also has a built in tuner? It could be a location change issue; Have you tried resetting the Box to factory then setting it up based on your region? Most of those Android boxes display in 1080 so make sure it's set to 720. See how that goes and post back with the results.