Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

I have a Panasonic viera tx 40cx680b. I have just bought it

Customer Question

Hello. I have a Panasonic viera tx 40cx680b. I have just bought it as my old tv, a Sony Bravia (7 years old) started to flicker black for a second every minute of so. This new TV also does the same thing. When it flickers (my using HDMI2) it displays EC/AV1. I have Virgin media and have had a Virgin TiVo box for 3 years. I have just changed the HDMI cable just in case but it wasn't that. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Hello and Welcome. My name is ***** ***** I'll assist you today. I'm sorry you're having trouble with it. I need additional info to troubleshoot the issue.

- Just to clarify, is this new Panasonic TV connected to same Virgin Media box and does the same as of old Sony was doing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correct.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the info, it seems Virgin Media box is causing picture flicker and should be rebooted that would help to resolve the problem. Please unplug Virgin Media box power cord from wall socket for 5 minutes to reset, replug back in and let it reboot that may take few minutes and check picture result.

Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried that already.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, next test is to connect any other video source such as DVD/ bluray player etc with same HDMI cable instead of Virgin Media box, pull the HDMI cable from Virgin box and plug it in to DVD/Bluray player, playback a disc and check if TV picture still flickers?

This test will confirm that Virgin Media box is defective or not as if TV displays normal picture for quite some time then Virgin Media box has got internal problem and should be replaced to resolve the problem. The reason of this diagnosis is that two different TVs are not likely to get same problem when the video source is common and can be cause of trouble. Please reply back with the result and if problem resolved then a positive rating to answer would be highly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will check and get back to you. Thank you.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, please take your time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I have tried this with my Apple TV box so have completely by passed the virgin TiVo box. The issue is still there. Thanks.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

This is odd, have you tried different HDMI input of TV for Apple TV box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried this as well.
Expert:  Shahid replied 1 year ago.

OK, have you tired to connect TV power cord directly to wall socket and check?

I don't know if there is power surge/ power stripe is used to plug power cords.