carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

I have bought a gbd18fvzs2 digital box it is connected to my

Customer Question

I have bought a gbd18fvzs2 digital box it is connected to my tv/monitor and I can get a picture but I can not use the remote control to do anything other than switch the box on or off, my tv/monitor is a Samsung 2333hd for which I don't have a remote control.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Could you let me know if the television automatically turns over so you can see the picture from the freeview box?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I am not sure what you mean by if the tv automatically turns over I can see the picture which I assume is from the freeview box as I cannot get a picture without it.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Do you have a picture from the freeview box?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
but I cannot control the box with the remote other than switching on or off I can get all channels uusing the tv up/down control.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Does your remote have a dtv/vcr button at the top of the remote and in the middle. If it does could you press it once and then type 121 into the remote and see if it changes channel.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it has dtv/vcr but does not change channel on pressing 121.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

could you let me know what happens when you press the menu button

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
nothing
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry but it sounds like the freeviewbox is faulty. When you got the box did the remote work to set it up?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
this is the second box I have tried both have the same result I can get a picture on my tv/monitor ( I only use it as a tv) but the remote does not respond, I am unable to do a setup as the picture is instant. My monitor is a Samsung 2333hd I don't have a remote for this as my granddaughter broke it when I loaned it to her, but I can use the side controls on the set.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Could you turn off the free view box and let me know if the picture goes off on the tv.

The tv has built in freeview it may be worth getting a new remote for the tv and using the freeview in the tv.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
When I switch the freeview box off the tv goes off, the tv does not have freeview. I have ordered a new remote anyway
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Could you send me the exact model of the tv? The Samsung 2333hd should have freeview built in

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is a Samsung shdmi tv/monitor 2333hd model code LS23CFVKF/EN manufactured January 2010.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have renewed the cables and to my surprise the monitor does have freeview for the past 5years I have used a set top box I just bought a replacement when the one I had developed a fault. When I get my replacement remote I may be able to get some updates for the software and be able to view and change channels without problems, thank you for putting up with a 77year old idiot.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

I am pleased to hear that we found a solution. If you want to we can leave the question open for a few days and if you need help when the new remote arrives we can continue our chat.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thanks I will do that.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

Has your new remote arrived yet?

carlday1, Engineer
Experience: Self Employed Electronic Engineer
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it has thanks Carl I am now up and running so to speak, thank you for your assistance.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 6 months ago.

I am pleased to hear it is sorted and you can watch tv.

Regards,

Carl