Viet - Technician
Viet - Technician, Technician
Experience:  Electronics Tech. Troubleshoot consumer electronics devices.
30037186

I have an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner - quite old

I have an Epson Perfection 4990 Photo scanner - quite old now - which ran excellently with Windows 7 32-bit. I have changed to Windows Pro 64-bit and the PC refuses to recognise the software - and thus the scanner. The PC on which I am attempting to instal the scanner is NOT connected to the internet and never will be (security reasons). Worse yet, our internet connection here is arthritic to say the least, and downloads frequently fail. Is there a solution, or am I looking at a new scanner?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Viet - Technician replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. Please download and install the latest driver for Windows 7 64-bit at the Epson website below, then it will work:

https://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?UseCookie=yes&oid=50666&infoType=Downloads

; the driver file is small, so it should download quick.

; If needed, you can download it on another computer, then transfer it to the computer you want with a USB flash drive or an external USB hard drive, and install it.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Epson website refuses to display. So I went to the Epson site for Epson Scanner driver downloads. I can find a driver for the 4990, and save it to this PC through DriveTuner.exe. I then loaded this onto a flash drive (3.11Mb) and took it over to the un-connected PC. Running the app comes to a grinding halt and displays a little panel: Network Timeout. please check your internet connection. "Drivewhiz" also a demands an internet connection. What now?

I'm sorry. That Epson website is working fine on my computer; I think there may be a connection issue in your area. Do not download DriverTuner or DriverWhiz or any other strange program from websites I did not provide; you may install viruses.

- Can you go to the new website below:

http://wikisend.com/download/956814/

, then there, click on Download file in order to download the file called epson12181 there?

NOTE: If you also have problem with the above website, please let me know. Do not try any website I did not provide.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that's the Epson problem solved. Can you perform the same magic for a Dell 3110cn colour laser printer (ca.10 years old but still soldiering on)? The Dell website brings me up against what is essentially the same problem as I had with the scanner, all the options demand an internet connection.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well, that took a while, and a while and a while,and I have to say that the download isn't exactly intuitive.Nevertheless it worked, so I now have both printer & scanner running off the new PC. Unfortunately there are a large number of h***** *****ttle programs which I really liked which will no longer run in 64-bit, but I'll worry about those as time goes on. Many thanks for all your excellent work. Malcolm

You're welcome. Great. If you need help with anything else, please come back any time. Thank you very much for your patience.