carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

I bought a Canon MV800E second hand and when I tried a tape

I bought a Canon MV800E second hand and when I tried a tape through it. the mechanism was very noisy and this noise was recorded on the tape. Can the mechanism be lubricated as `i suspect the camera was not used for a long time
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: No i think that is it, the mechanical tape mechanism is noisy when it is running
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question. Is the mechanism clean or is it very dusty? I would suggest cleaning the mechanism with compressed air it is available in a can and then I would clean it with some IPA alcohol, when that is done I would lubricate it with some white lithium grease on the metal moving parts.

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What kind of white lithium grease should I use on what is delicate parts, a spray. Can you recommend a brand
Expert:  carlday1 replied 1 year ago.

I would not use a spray as it will go everywhere I would use a tube and a cotton wool bud and sparingly put it where needed.

You could use a silicone grease, I just use a standard cheap white grease, I have been told before that Lubriplate 105 is good for tape mechs I have never used it myself. Cleaning the old grease and dust away should help lots.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.