nathan_mills
nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience:  Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.
76814648

I have a brother colour laser jet printer HL-4140CN and it

Hi there. I have a brother colour laser jet printer HL-4140CN and it keeps displaying a message to say that there is a printer jam. I have cleared trays, front and back, rebooted and completed software update to no avail. Any suggestions as to what else I could try?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  nathan_mills replied 6 months ago.

Hi Anilia. Welcome to justanswer.

There are 4 kind of jams in your printer:

Jam Inside

Jam Rear

Jam Tray 1/2

Jam Mp Tray

Have you checked all 4 of them?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have checked all these trays. What else should I do?

Have you checked for jammed paper inside the paper tray? Are you sure there are no bits of paper inside the printer

How old is your printer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Less than 2 years old. And yes I have checked that there are no bits of paper in the printer by taking out the cartridges etc and having a good look inside. There are no bits of paper in the paper tray either

Are you getting this error on the computer or on the printer?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
On the printer

Then it would be specifying as where the jam is, like Jam MP Tray etc?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it says tray 1

Pull the paper tray out once again

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
done that

Make sure the tray is completely out of the machine. Now check for any jammed paper/bits of paper

If you have put a stack of papers in the printer then take them out, fan the paper stack and put them back

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
done that. Shall I put the drawer back in?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I mean the tray

Yes put it back

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
done

Check if the error is still there?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it's still there

Then there is some fault with either the rollers or separation pads

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK so do I need to get it looked at? I think it might be better to just buy another.

The rollers or separator pads gets worn out after some time depending upon the usage of the printer.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is it something I can buy online and replace myself fairly cheaply?

You cannot replace the parts by yourself as it will require dissembling the printer. If the problem is with the separator pads then the repair will not cost you much. But if the fault is with the rollers then buying a new one would be the better alternative

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OK thanks for your help

If you have any other query then do let me know.

Please rate the chat positively by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel so that I can get credited for my services. Thanks.

As the question is still open I was thinking is there anything else I can help you with.

If not, then please rate the chat positively by clicking the 5 stars present on the upper panel. Thank you.

nathan_mills, Customer Service
Experience: Efficient Technician with more than 30 years of Experience.