Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have DVD recorder/VCR/Hard drive model DMR=EX95VEBS which

I have DVD recorder/VCR/Hard drive model DMR=EX95VEBS which has stopped working. It has power but simply shows Hello. No other function keys work apart from on/off.
Is it repairable?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the recorder (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the unit, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
RichardI have already done this; please see additional info I gave earlier. Result is still the same
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

you mean this? Which I did read

Apart from unplugging & RECONNECTING ALL LEADS I DO NOT NO WHAT ELSE TO TRY

No where it is mentioned how long and the way its written it points to just unplugging it then re plugging it back in again.

How long did you leave it unplugged as this was not listed by you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
About 30 mins
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, with it powered on, hold the channel up and down buttons for 7 seconds then release which will reset the unit.

Once done, set it up again, like when you first received it as it will be as now.

Tell me if it resets and functions when doing this please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay; will do & get back to you.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard. A somewhat tortuous process and no progress i'm afraid. After switching on it went through the 'please wait' phase for 8/9 minutes before 'hello' showed. I tried holding down the channel buttons as instructed but nothing happened. After about 10 mins it switched itself off with just the flashing 00 00 in the display. I have repeated the process 3 times but no change. Also none of the control buttons work e g disc eject or tape eject, only the power button.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.

A corrupted firmware can cause this. But we have ruled this out by trying to reinstall it.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the unit to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay Richard. Does this mean it is the hard drive that has failed? I presume there is no way to recover any programmes on it? It is well out of warranty.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No, not the hard drive but the mainboard.

If you get the exact same model, and put the hard drive into it you should be able to view the programmes again, but thats the only way

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Many thanks.