Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Camera: Panasonic DMC FZ200. I've upgraded my PC to Win10

Camera: Panasonic DMC FZ200. I've upgraded my PC to Win10 and now My camera won't talk to my PC. Any suggestions?
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: No, that's all.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Are you using a desktop or laptop PC?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Have you checked if the camera will still connect to other computers ok?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, getting out of step here! Camera is connected and viewer says"Connecting to PC" but nothing actually happening
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, what viewer are you using?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

... and please confirm the PC type - laptop or desktop?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The big LCD viewer on the camera
Sorry, Desktop all-in-one Acer
Just switching on lap top now, but might take a bit of time (battery flat) also lap top, too, runs Win 10
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, first check if there are any windows waiting at the bottom of the screen asking you what to do next....

if there are, you will need to click OK on those when you connect the camera - this is a security feature in Windows to prevent unauthorised devices connecting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nope, nothing
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, let me know how it goes with the laptop.

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Alternatively, does the Acer All-in-One have a card reader that you could slot the camera's memory card into?

This would make accessing your photos easier.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, no card reader either built-in or bought. Just revving up laptop now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried lap top. Just the same. Neither computer can find new hardware or device when prompted to look for it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there some sort of emulator I could use? I'm not the greatest living expert on computers, but if there is something fairly easy to download & install, then perhaps that would do. At the moment I have nothing at all to get a connection
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it doesn't look good if it won't connect to any computer at all - possibly a card corruption.

Do you have a different memory card you could try in the camera?

Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The USB connection is "universal" across all Windows systems and other operating systems, so you don't need an emulator.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
HANG ON!!!!! Might have cracked it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just remembered I got an SD card reader with the dashcam I bought recently. It's a Roadhawk & doesn't have a little screen; if you want to see what happened you have to take the card home & connect up.......just finished downloading. It would have taken far longer without the card-reader idea. Thanks; Job jobbed.