carlday1
carlday1, Engineer
Experience:  Self Employed Electronic Engineer
69505510

I purchased Samsung Galaxy J5 from Amazon and have inserted

I purchased Samsung Galaxy J5 from Amazon and have inserted battery and sim card, however the Welcome screen is in Italian. What can I do to set it up in English please.
Assistant: Thank you. Can you provide any more details to help us find you the right Expert?
Customer: It's a 8GB (SM-J500F) model and I'm charging the battery right now but don't think this will make any difference as phone was on 13% straight out of the box.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer my name is ***** ***** I will help with your question.

Here is a guide for changing the language on a Samsung galaxy 3 it should be very similar for your phone. Let me know if this helps if not I will try and write a step by step guide for you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I don't appear to have your guide. Also I can only tap on foreign words on screen so don't know what I'm telling it to do.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you but I have no icons to tap on as my phone isn't even set up yet due to foreign 'welcome' screen which I can't get past.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

Could you describe what is on the screen or are you able to send me a photo

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Benvenuto Islenska Italiano Latviesu an arrow Accessibilita
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

Can you click on the arrow is it a yellow arrow

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
did this before and next screen says Wi-Fi altro disattiva attivate il Wi-Fi per cercare le reti disponibili Avanti>
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

Can you click Avanti>

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
also did this before and it takes you back to the first 'welcome' sreen Benvenuto italiano etc..
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

OK please bear with me it is saying the WIFI is not turned on, on the phone but I cannot see how you would turn it on when stuck in this loop

Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

Do you have a sim card in the phone?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
already inserted brand new sim
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

Could you try and factory reset the phone.

1. First, turn the phone off.
  2. Remove the back cover.
  3. Remove the battery from the phone and wait for ten seconds.
  4. Put the battery back into the phone and replace the back cover.
  5. Now hold down both the Volume up and Home buttons.
  6. Next, start holding the Power button in addition to the Volume up and Home buttons.
  7. Keep all three buttons held down until you see the Samsung logo.
  8. Wait about 30 seconds, and you should be taken to the Android Recovery Menu. If your phone starts up as normal, you'll need to go back to step one and try again.
  9. Tap on the Volume down button four times to highlight the wipe data/factory reset option.
  10. Use the Power button to select it.
  11. Now tap on the the Volume down button seven times until Yes – delete all user datails highlighted.
  12. Again, use the Power button to select this option.
  13. Wait a minute while the reset is carried out.
  14. Once it has finished, reboot system now should be highlighted – so tap the Power button one last time to select it.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
have tried steps 1 to 8 four times and don't appear to get the android recovery menu it just keeps going to 'welcome' screen
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

It can be tricky to get the phone to go into recovery mode I am sorry but could you try a few more times. You can skip steps 1 to 4 because you should be able to get into it with just steps 5 on wards.

I will double check and make sure I have not missed anything

Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

Could you turn the phone off and then could you try just holding the vol + and the power button until the recovery menu appears

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
have managed to complete all steps at last but unfortunately it hasn't changed anything. I'm still getting the Italian start up welcome screen.
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

Could you click the arrow and see if you still have the same message about the WIFI

Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

I may have missed something on the first screen can you scroll up the screen and see if you can see english

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it lists various ie; VM421390-2G VM627531-2G virginmedia5111306 BTHub4 on first screen will not scroll
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

On the bottom right hand of the white box you should have two words can you click the one to the left hand side it may be Annulla

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
there's no white box and no two words to click on
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

OK could you click on your WIFI network and then enter the WIFI key when requested

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Done and is connecting. Went back to first screen and now able to scroll and select English (UK)! I'm just now working my way through terms and conditions and to complete set up process finally
Expert:  carlday1 replied 8 months ago.

I am pleased it has worked.

Please could you rate me when you get 5 mins

carlday1, Engineer
Experience: Self Employed Electronic Engineer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your help and your patience Carl.