Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

The picture from recordings is usually unwatchable or

The picture from recordings is usually unwatchable or non-existant. There is often a streaky effect, but it's not consistent. The sound is perfect. The problem occurs with all channels. Not sure if it is the recorder itself or another problem - have checked all leads/connections. It is a Panasonic DMR-EX769EB, around 6 yrs old.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the recorder (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the recorder, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly with a new recording.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have done as you suggested but it is no better, even the 'guide' comes up streaky
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, can you disconnect the cables at the back, then reconnect them, just to be sure they are now tightly connected. Do this while it is powered off (unplugged from the wall)

Then power it on and tell me how it now appears please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have done that, but no difference
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, can you replace the cable from the recorder to the TV and tell me please if that makes a difference.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still the same
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

ok, on the recorder, with it powered on, hold the channel up and down buttons for 7 seconds then release.

This will reset it, set it up again and tell me how it now operates please

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, that hasn't done anything, and the picture thro' the 'av' is unwatchable, apart from recordings.
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

If you press the menu button on the actual TV remote, does the menu show correctly?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it does, and I have previously been through 'auto set up' but that makes no difference
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

It is the internal mainboard in the recorder that has faulted.

Due to its age, the warranty will have expired and you will need to replace the recorder as a repair would with the cost of parts and limited warranty would exceed the value of a new recorder.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

And if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the page, then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, Richard, thank you for your advice. Susan
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome Susan

If you need anything else, please let me know